Monday, February 07, 2005

The Villain

What makes a villain?

I believe it's all relative. There aren't any clear, delineating marks between what we usually brand as 'villainous' traits and the 'saintly' ones. Decreeing a definition of what is wicked or not for the whole of humanity is like having faith in the existence of the amaranth; it simply doesn't exist. For example, people like to think (myself included) of Hitler as the penultimate villain in history, but in all probability he might be condescendingly regarding all of us as miscreants in whatever afterlife he's dragged himself in.

Absurdly enough, talking about 'villains' brings to mind the girl which I courted for three years, centuries ago (see my related post). During that awfully-long time, I placed her atop a pedestal, a princess worth my life and much more. (Uh, I guess the 'much more' means dozens of short stories and poems, one of which was a five-page ode for her 18th birthday.) But as is cliche for love stories, the pedestal came crashing down one day.

Don't hate me for this, but I'd be more of a jerk if I won't admit that she instantly became a villain in my life. At least, just for one or two weeks after she spurned me. And hey, it wasn't a one-sided deal -- I learned that she was growing close with another guy all the time I was trying to win her heart. I unknowingly fulfilled the role of a pest, a devourer of her time, time which she could've blissfully spent with the other guy. Maybe I was a demon in her life, too. (Not that it really mattered, because they ended up lovers in the end.)

The day we parted ways was a nadir for our friendship, and at the same time a pinnacle for marking each other as 'villains'. The villain-stuff wore off as time passed by (at least for me), but unfortunately we haven't really talked much after that day. We still catch glances of each other in UP, but absolutely no exchange of words, no perfunctory how-are-yous. She only greets my bestfriend, Sophia, who's with me most of the time.

I tried chatting her up for the first few months or so, but when she wasn't responding, I quickly got tired and gave up. I've moved on, so there's no reason to waste time trying to initiate a healthy conversation with a person who wants to keep her mouth shut. My friends hazard this silly guess that maybe she's finding herself guilty for being a one-time villain in my life. They say, after all, she made you cry for three damn years. They say, that's why she can't look straight into your eyes.

Really now. I love being the guy that everybody loves to hate, and so I must discard their notion.

She was the heroine, and I was the villain.

*****
And if I'm right about that, then I'm a...


What Type of Villain are You?
mutedfaith.com

9 Comments:

Blogger {illyria} said...

but i don't hate you. does that make me a spongebob in your eyes? spongebob isn't a villain, anyway. he's just a masquerading metrosexual. hee.

2:30 PM  
Blogger ia said...

(last minute insert: my goodness! which sophia are you referring to? too many girls by that name see this blog!)

i agree. do villains come with the every-good-has-its-opposite-evil argument? since morals are relative and so are good things and bad things, should villains be unclassifiable as well?

ah, who cares, they make life more interesting.

antiheroes are even yummier.

i realized i miss my bishies. *sticks one at the back of her cellphone* i'm too anime deprived. :D

2:55 PM  
Blogger Corsarius said...

to transience: er, i didn't see spongebob in that light until you came along... :D not that i really watch the show. ah. at least i can count at least one person who doesn't hate me, haha...

to ia: ...or, at least two? :p 'antiheroes are yummier' -- which ones, the males or females? [kapow! smack me on the head] btw, what's a bishie? pardon my ignorance.

4:24 PM  
Blogger orasid said...

English 11 class talked about the paradox and irony of heroes and antiheroes. Heroes don't need to be a 'saint' - a hasty generalization between good and evil.

If you ask LOVE (as if it is a person), every one is his/her villain. Reckless abstraction? It's understatement! Come to think of it. :p

Villains do exist. And I must admit I feel that I have a dark force within me. (Darth Vader, is that you?). I just learn how to control it. And also knows how to unlearn it someday.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Corsarius said...

well, everybody has that inner 'darth vader', jonas. (I want a Death Star.) unfortunately, 'unlearning' it may prove to be an exercise in futility ("Jedi mind tricks won't work on me, boy")...at least, that's how I view it. :D

5:50 PM  
Blogger Corsarius said...

to ChomSky: well, I'm with you. but who knows, to history's greatest villains and their zealots, the definition of a 'villain' might be different, y'know, something like "people who can't understand the greater glory of my plans". and they consider themselves as the heroes. blech. :D peace. and thanks for dropping by.

to Mai: "LOL!!! is the phrase of the day." er...LOL! btw, i think 'evil genius' fits ya. :p

8:44 PM  
Blogger orasid said...

i'm the lesser evil genius...

lesser evil...
lesser genius...

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok. ok. ok. =)

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

10 deca
9 nano
8 octa
7 hepta
6 hexa
5 penta
4 tetra
3 tri
2 bi
the villain

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home