Saturday, January 08, 2005

My Two Cents' Worth, a Two Cents Poem

First Cent:

There's no way I can describe the utter shock which swept over me when I received the word.

I've been writing my name wrong for 19 years.

It's actually trivial. On the thousands of pieces of paper that I've been submitting to school and hundreds of article bylines, I am "Phillip Kimpo, Jr."

But according to Strunk's The Elements of Style,
it should be "Phillip Kimpo Jr." See it?

Yes. There should be no comma.

I have been rendered incomplete.

**************

Second Cent:

If you've been watching non-primetime TV shows here in the Philippines, maybe you've chanced upon those second-rate advertisements about pig vitamins and stuff. Well, it happens that I did come across one, an ad with talking pigs rendered ala Squaresoft/Pixar (albeit a lot lot uglier).

One pig was being fed the 'ordinary' brand of vitamins, while another was pigging out (pun intended) on
the 'superior' brand of supplements. Here's a snippet of the conversation between them, with the oinks discarded (they had female voice-overs):

Forsaken Pig: You're nothing but a trying hard pig. No one will even think of buying you and your piglets! [munches on dirty food]

Blessed Pig: With the [insert brand name here] vitamins our owner has been giving us, I'll be fatter than ever and they'll buy me, not you. [smiles r
idiculously]

Forsaken Pig: Tse!


Next scene: the Blessed Pig is aboard a truck, jeering at her less fortunate rival, who is understandably upset. The advertisement ends here, but we can presume that the truck will deliver the Blessed Pig to the vicious, unregulated slaughterhouses dotting the Philippines' animal-rights-violations map.*

And she's blessed. How's that!

Will someone please knock some sense into the ad designer's noggin?

*in this country, dogs are eaten and pigs are mercilessly, inhumanely whacked on the head until they die. Hm. Let me post my pro-animal rights essay in the future.

**************

The Two Cents Poem:

[It's in Tagalog. You can also find it in the Expressions section of the respected INQ7.net website. It's dear to me -- it's the first poem I've submitted to a reputable institution, and also the first to be published (on the said site, a week after I turned it in).]

Barya
ni Phillip Kimpo, Jr.

Habulin,
habulin!

ang baryang gumugulong
patungo sa kanal
na kanina’y nadulas
mula sa munting palad,
ang baryang limos
ng mga nagdaraang tao
na sana’y iaabot
sa mamang fishball sa kanto.
Kalam ng sikmura'y
sasagutin ng gumugulong na barya,
habulin…

at panooring mahulog sa estero.

02:46 NH
Agosto 26, 2004
Lungsod Quezon

**************

It's three in the morning, and I'm taking a break. Tune in next time for more of this incoherent talk.

5 Comments:

Blogger ia said...

Uno centimo*:
Who would've thought (and believed). I did. We did.
See, I like Barya. I told you. :P I know the Parser peeps did too.


Segundo centimo*:
Blog and the world blogs with you, spam and you spam alone. :) (from Bag and Baggage, Blogger template site)


*A pathetic whack at Spanish/some Latin American language

3:41 PM  
Blogger Corsarius said...

i think i should have used "centavos". there aren't any cents here in the Philippines =p

3:48 PM  
Blogger ia said...

hehe kaya sentimo ginamit ko :P

4:12 PM  
Blogger orasid said...

----> "Phillip Kimpo, Jr."
Better format. There's a pause to emphasize Junior (di ba cool kasi after ng comma, period agad!) =p


---->*in this country, dogs are eaten and pigs are mercilessly, inhumanely whacked on the head until they die. Hm. Let me post my pro-animal rights essay in the future.
And this came from a pork lover, a carnivore! Well, I love eating meat too, but to see how they are slaughtered is no-no. Follower mo ako pati sa animal rights.

---->it's the first poem I've submitted to a reputable institution
Reputable? Okey!

---->Barya
Hey readers, kaya gusto ko itong 'mokong' na writer na ito kasi, simple lang naman yung subject ng poem kaso sa sobrang simple ng subject we, the society, often overlook such things pero siya hindi ganoon.
[naku marami pang katangian kung bakit idolo ko ito basta wait na lang sa ultimate verdict]

---->It's three in the morning, and I'm taking a break. Tune in next time for more of this incoherent talk.
Hay naku! Hindi mapagsabihan. Addict ka nga. [jonas, harap ka nga sa salamin, di ba 9pm ka na minsan lumalabas ng dept para sa blog]. Addict nga tayo.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Corsarius said...

jonas: grabe na ang flattery na natatanggap ko sa iyo, ha! salamat. hala, nagiging adik na talaga tayo sa blog! ubos-pera na ito. buti na lang may free net sa dept. [wink]

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home