Saturday, February 12, 2005

Let It Burn

Who loves fire?

No, not me -- you won't find arsonist tendencies within this writer. Well, I admit that maybe as a kid I had; after all, I used to re-enact the destruction of the Spanish Armada in my bath. I neatly arrayed tens of paper boats into two sides facing each other in the tub. I would then get into a matchstick-lighting spree, throwing the flaming sticks at the boats as if they were darts (Exocet missiles, baby!). In this way I simulated a naval 'battle', which only ended once both 'fleets' were burnt to the water. I guess who ever emerged 'triumphant' in such a battle would've had a decidedly Pyrrhic victory.

But when I grew up, here in the urban sprawl where buildings catch fire as easily as men catch the cold virus, I came to fear fire. I came to shun its gleeful destructiveness.

Who loves fire?

I don't. But I grudgingly respect it. I am in awe of its searing, blazing fury.

An ancient Greek thinker once held fire in the utmost esteem, viewing the element as the origin of all things. Every other substance in the world can be exchanged for fire, and vice versa. If fire can destroy, then fire can forge as well. Out of the crackling, chaotic, eternal flux of the burning flame, order arises.

Quite similar to my personality, as the blog quiz below justly presents (from Blogthings.com):




Your Element Is Fire



Your passion and emotion are as obvious as the brightest flame.
You make sparks fly, and your passion always has the potential to burst out.

You are exciting and creative - and completely unpredictable.
You sometimes exercise control, and sometimes you let yourself go.

Friends describe you as sensitive, spirited, and compulsive.
Bright and blazing with intensity, you seem mysterious and moody to many.


And, if you're a role-playing slash fantasy junkie like me, you'll be interested in the following test:


Find Your Element
mutedfaith.com

[In Tagalog: Sakto!]

3 Comments:

Blogger ia said...

spirit: water
aura: sapphire
color: blue

[from tickle and some others... ehehe.]

4:38 PM  
Blogger orasid said...

Red. Flame. Passion.
You are indeed a 'pyromaniac'.

Does it mean that you are always in heat?
[O dahil madalas kang mag-laro ng apoy. :p]

on: 'Your passion and emotion are as obvious as the brightest flame.'
>> As true as a furnace!

on: 'You are exciting and creative - and completely unpredictable.'
>> As unpredictable as a bonfire! I'm always challenged when it comes to adjusting.

on: 'You sometimes exercise control, and sometimes you let yourself go. Friends describe you as sensitive, spirited, and compulsive. Bright and blazing with intensity, you seem mysterious and moody to many.'
>> Um, control? Yes! I experienced it once, remember? I highly valued that meek gesture. You made it simpler, bro! Hope, you continue to develop that attitude.
Mysterious and moody to many! You bet! I've never try a guessing game like this before. :p But careful bro, sometimes you are pushing someone else around. Be observant sometimes. Don't get me wrong on this. :p

on: 'Out of the crackling, chaotic, eternal flux of the burning flame, order arises.'
Amen to that.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Corsarius said...

to mai: coolest element, indeed!

to ia: a stickler for blue, all the time, hehe.

to jonas: whoa! talagang na-analyze mo ako, hehe.

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home